Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Meekness~

What defines meekness? According to our dictionary, meekness is...
  • having or showing a quiet and gentle nature : not wanting to fight or argue with other people

  And furthermore,

  : enduring injury with patience and without        
  resentment

 I wouldn't have looked this up if it weren't for the powerful words in the "Sermon on the Mount" that I read the other night. Meekness was one of the beatitudes, and yet I'd never heard a real definition for the word, or if I had, I had let it sink like an anchor in life's ocean.

Meekness.

So what?

I think this trait defines Christ's attitude in his most trying times. When Jesus was brutally beaten and bore the weight of a sinner, did he retaliate? Meekness is something that should be practiced by all. I think many of us think of meekness as having a gentle nature in the midst of physical trials. Physical pain. Verbal accusations. But what about mental & spiritual pains?

Jealousy, Vanity, and Hate are all attackers of the mind an soul, so why not find peace when these things attack? I wrote "meekness" on my finger today at school to remind me that in the midst of a trying, annoying environment like high school, I need to maintain meekness. Not retaliate, but endure the mental and spiritual trials that walk the halls of school with me.

No comments: