Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A Delicate Balance~

My father is the kind of man who won't stop until the job is done. What makes this worse is that my dad also is an achiever, one who won't turn the last light out until something of value has been completed. The genetics played out in my father's favor while I was in the womb, and so I was born with a fiery passion to accomplish task upon task. Not to say my mom isn't an achiever. Her desire is almost just as flaming, but she was blessed with the counteracting trait of harmony, so she has her limits.

As an achiever, I get SO caught up in what I need to do for school, what I need to turn in, etc. I begin analyzing what I should be doing differently to better manage my time. I tell myself I should be more involved at school. I tell myself, in short, that I'm not doing enough achieving, when in reality, I'm not doing enough breathing! There comes a time when we all have to let go and remember that this life isn't for our own benefit or glory. It's for the glory of Christ. In trying to be more involved in one area, and trying to meet standards or criterion in another area, I lose focus of my true mission: making disciples of every nation. In the end, being a top-notch athlete isn't going to matter. Being a member of half of the high school clubs won't matter either. What will matter is the heavenly rewards of heaven, and more importantly, God's eternal glory. I would encourage all of you to make a choice with me to reorient yourselves. Our moral compasses are subject to changing magnetic fields, as our lust-driven heart pulls for one thing, and the Holy Spirit another. Christ tells us we must give up everything, count up the cost, and decide to follow him. Achieving is good and all, but I know that I definitely need to stop trying so hard to achieve earthly rewards, and become more willing to achieve things in the church and in my own journey with Christ. 

The difference between my father's (earthly, or course) eagerness to achieve, and my own, is that my father is able to find a delicate balance in achieving things for the family and home, and for Christ and is kingdom. It's a sort of teeter-totter. I know I'm far from balanced, and it's time that I let go, and find that balance of will.

No comments: