Saturday, April 25, 2015

Celebrating Spring~

For the longest time, I thought I was lover of all things winter. The long, pointed icicles I'd find every morning, and the cozy family get-togethers that called for spontaneous reminiscing; it was my most favorite time of the year. However, this past winter hit me more like a stone rather than a fluffy snowflake. After Christmas, the cold got to my bones, and as my face paled from lack of sunlight, anxiety seemed to pervade every moment. The joy of Christmas fell away, as the temperatures also took a drastic plunge.

Looking back, I know I had a major case of the Winter Blues, and I'm no materialist, but I know the thoughts I was having were of chemical decent. Lack of sunlight and Vitamin D can cause negativity, and minor depression. Your brain struggles to produce serotonin and other anxiety-fighting agents. Throughout January and February, I felt plagued with unending sorrow and sadness that had some hidden root. However, I praise God for Spring, because it couldn't have come at a better time.

Now, I enjoy taking long walks in the  forest, the leafy ground showered in sun. Sometimes, I just stand in the sunlight and feel the heat build on my skin. The euphoria I experience makes me more and more thankful for the season of spring, where the old can thaw out and be absorbed by the seeds underneath, to ultimately produce newness. I believe that I am a seed too, and God sent down lots of snow and chilling temperatures.  But now I can't stop smiling, because spring is finally here, and joy is blooming in full.

No comments: