Monday, May 19, 2014

"You're such a Hypocrite..."

I hear this phrase a lot. Believe it or not though, most of the time the accusers are right. (Although if you think about it, the accusers are being hypocrites.) I am one who gets ensnared in the moral trap of hypocrisy on a daily basis. It's when I feel the urge to give a bit of helpful advice, and it comes out as a condemning statement, imperative and commanding.  What makes this hypocrisy is the fact that most of my advice I haven't even applied to myself yet. Jesus makes it clear on multiple accounts that hypocrisy is wrong. For example, Matthew 7:5 says, "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."  As the verse commands, we must first learn our own lesson, and only then can we apply what we've learned to someone else in need of help.

No comments: